The Interdisciplinary Child Development Centre (ICDC) is a government-funded pre-school facility that serves the underprivileged in the greater Couva area. The ICDC has been operating continuously since its inception in 1979 as a pilot project of the Ministry of Health marking "International Year of the Child". The function of the Centre is to provide early childhood education, nutrition and stimulation. All services are generally free. The school caters for approximately 45 children ranging in age from 10 months to 4 and-a-half years before graduating to primary school. There is a nursery with trained staff to care for infants.
Eligibility for Enrollment
Children in the greater Couva area with an underprivileged background are eligible for enrollment. The formal criteria are as follows:
- Residents within the greater Couva area
- An underprivileged status, including nutritional deprivation etc.
- Families with over five children under twelve years of age would be given preference
- Cases of single parent or guardian especially in the cases where guardians were grand-parents.
- In cases where the parent or guardian needs to be hospitalized for an extended period.
- Fill out a preliminary application form (preferably in person), applications need to be submitted with the child's birth-paper and ID card
- Applicants are then interviewed by the manager of the school and the Medical Social Worker
- Home visits are conducted to ensure eligibility
- The committee then evaluates submissions based on the interviews and home visits with a final screening conducted.
- The school will contact the parent to inform of acceptance
Registration generally takes place in the last week of the August vacation (the academic year is similar to all schools nationwide).
Office: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM School: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Interdisciplinary Child Development Centre (ICDC)
#6 De Gannes Street, Couva
Contact: Phone/Fax: 636-3605
Public Transport: Couva Taxis