Medical Laboratory Technicians are responsible for the Chemical, Microscopic and Bacteriological testing for substances such as blood, tissue, urine and other body fluids for detection, diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- To prepare stains and make microscopic examinations of smears, blood, urine, pus, stool, sputum and other body fluids and exudates.
- To prepare, examine and analyze a variety of body fluids and tissues which aid in the diagnosis and clinical management of patients, according to written protocols in the relevant area of assignment.
- To prepare semi complex reagents, solutions and stains.
- To operate basic and computerized equipment within the Laboratory sections.
- To handle Bio-hazardous and radioactive materials and ensure safe disposal as protocol demands.
- To perform routine maintenance daily on apparatus used in the department.
- To prepare blood and blood products for use in blood banking.
- To assist in preparing and staining of bone marrow preparations and tissues for examinations by the pathologist.
- To assist in performing Quality control and standardized procedures.
- Five (5) CXC passes inclusive of English, Math, Biology and Chemistry.
- Associates of Science (A.Sc) or Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Registration with the Medical Laboratory Technicians’ Board of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Ability to co-ordinate and undertake research activities.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Ability to follow procedures and instructions.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of relevant computer applications.
- Record-keeping skills.
- Must be able to work as part of a team.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Must be able to follow safety regulations