Optometry is about the examination of the eyes and visual systems, as well as, diagnosing eye diseases. Specialties and Duties
- Examines and tests patients’ eye and vision.
- Diagnoses disorders and diseases of the eye.
- Prescribes and fits glasses and contact lens.
- Give advice on eye and eye-wear care.
- Medical Doctor who has specialized in treating diseases of the eye.
- Diagnoses and treats disorders and diseases of the eye.
- Prescribes medication for any disorders or diseases.
- Conducts corrective surgery
- Entry requirements include CXC CSEC courses such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, English, Psychology, Social Sciences,
- Computer Literacy and Statistics.
- CXC CAPE Science Subjects such as Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Bachelor of Optometry degree (BOptom).
- Doctor of Optometry degree (OD).
Manual Precision: steady hands are important when performing minute actions and they must be dexterous and have muscular endurance for long procedures. Communication and People Skills: excellent communication skills are required to explain procedures to the patient as well as give advice clearly and accurately interpret any questions they may have. Empathy and Patience: showing empathy allows patients to become more comfortable when they feel they can trust the optometrist to do a satisfactory job, similarly, patience to deal with and calm anxious patients is beneficial. Problem-solving and Decision-making Skills: should be able to assess the problem the patient is experiencing and determine the best possible cause of action to be taken. Ability to work well under pressure: the ability to work quickly and efficiently without becoming overwhelmed.