How do I make sure COVID-19 doesn’t spread in my workplace?
Contamination on surfaces touched by employees and customers is one of the ways that COVID-19 spreads. Therefore, while at work, make sure to clean and sanitize surfaces (e.g. desks and tables) and objects (e.g. telephones, mouse, keyboards) and other surfaces (doorknobs, railings). These surfaces need to be wiped with a bleach and water solution or standard cleaning agents (e.g. disinfectant, or a bleach solution but not both) regularly. Avoid unnecessary handling of items from person to person including cell phones, pens, and paper-based files, and consider going cashless and paperless, as far as possible.
As an employer, how can I protect my staff, from COVID-19?
- Routinely clean all frequently touched surfaces in the workplace, such as workstations, countertops, and doorknobs. Use the cleaning agents that are approved for use in these areas and follow the directions on the label.
- Provide disposable wipes so that commonly used items and surfaces can be wiped down by employees before each use.
- Ensure that office restrooms are constantly stocked with enough soap and paper towels. Put hand sanitizer dispensers in prominent places around the workplace. Make sure these dispensers are regularly refilled with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Display posters promoting hand-washing – visit health.gov.tt/covid19 to download COVID 19 materials
- Make sure that staff, vendors and customers have access to places where they can wash their hands regularly with soap and water
What is the procedure in place for companies to deal with employees who come to work ill or are suspected with COVID-19?
- Sick persons should stay at home. If a sick employee comes to work, they should be sent home immediately.
- If you have been informed that a co-worker has tested positive for COVID-19 or has been sent on self-quarantine by a medical professional please self-quarantine (see Self-quarantine Guidelines) and call the hotline 877-WELL if you have not been contacted by a contact tracer.