In accordance with the Tobacco Control Act Chapter 30:04 of 2009, the mission of the Tobacco Control Unit is to foster individual, community and government responsibility to prevent and reduce tobacco use by enabling multi-sectoral participation in tobacco control measures. The Tobacco Control Unit was created with the mandate to ensure that the appropriate legal framework, policies and relevant structures are in place to facilitate tobacco control measures in order to protect the health and safety of our citizens, whilst simultaneously contributing to policy at the international level, namely the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO/FCTC). The Unit falls under the purview of the Ministry of Health and seeks to enhance the public’s awareness of the hazards of tobacco consumption, and to provide persons with information to make fully-informed decisions about tobacco use.
- To prevent the initiation of tobacco use especially among young people.
- To provide for regulation of tobacco products to mitigate against the harmful effects of tobacco.
- To promote cessation of tobacco use.
- To prevent/eliminate exposure of non-smokers to second-hand tobacco smoke.
- To institute a management structure for the coordination of tobacco control efforts.
- To monitor and evaluate programme and plan implementation.
Tobacco Control Unit
Special Programs and Services Building
Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex
Mt. Hope, Trinidad, West Indies
Telephone: 1 868 226-7778 ext. 6007 / 6008 / 6009
Applying for A Licence to Manufacture / Distribute / Import / Export / Wholesale Tobacco and Tobacco Products
- Click here to Download the Application Form for A Licence to Manufacture / Distribute / Import / Export / Wholesale Tobacco and Tobacco Products
- Applicant Instructions for a Tobacco License: Revised June, 2020
- Form A: Letter of Authorization to Conduct Business
- Updated Checklist of the required documents for Application for a Tobacco Licence