The County Medical Officer of Health plays an important role in public health at the Ministry of Health. There are nine (9) County Medical Officers of Health based at various offices across the country. Their main responsibilities are to:
- Organise, plan and direct all public health activities and programmes in the County.
- Coordinate the operations of health centre clinics and school health services within the County.
- Supervise a large group of public health, medical and administrative personnel.
- Update staff on recent developments of public health issues.
- Ensure that provision of food and water supplies to the public are safe through registration of food premises, itinerant vendors and food handlers with regular sampling of food and water supplies.
- Inspect buildings and building developments and areas in the County regarding general sanitation and ensure abatement of health nuisance.
- Advise the regional corporation on public health matters including vector control.
- Ensure public health standards are administered in public buildings, schools and cinemas.
- Provide implementation of the Public Health Act.
- Provide health promotion activities within the County.
- Supervise Port Health activities and ensure that Port Health Legislation is implemented.
- Ensure the preparation of a County Disaster Preparedness Plan and implementation when necessary.
- Coordinate provision of medico legal services to Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.
- Coordinate prophylactic treatment and immunization for international travelers.
- Coordinate provision of medical service to Police Hospital and Trinidad and Tobago Prisons Service.
St. George West
3-5 Jerningham Avenue
St. George Central
Corner Hassanali Street and El Socorro Main Road
Telephone: (868)-285-8991 ext. 4011
St. George East
John Shaw Avenue
St. Andrews/ St. David
Corner Blake Avenue and Eastern Main Road
County Health Administration Office
Narine Ramrattan Building
Naparima Mayaro Road
Telephone: 222-5005-17 or 644-1256
Southern Main Road
160 Pointe-a-Pierre Road
Siparia Administrative Complex
Public Health Services Department
Telephone: (868)-639-3751 or 660-7000