Phlebotomy involves the knowledge, collection and testing of blood for laboratory usage but it does not extend to the purpose of therapeutic transfusion. Blood Banking Phlebotomy is a more specialized practice connected to the area of Transfusion Medicine and certified by a Blood Banking Hematologist. Persons conducting Blood Banking Phlebotomy have wider duties, functions and responsibilities.
- Draw blood using various techniques.
- Check red blood cell count and Iron levels of patients.
- Explain procedure and take blood from donors.
- Explain all side effects and precautions to donors.
- Maintain machinery and stock of supplies.
- Record personal details of donors such as contact, weight, age and blood type.QUALIFICATIONS
- Suggested Secondary school subjects include Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Relevant prior experience in the medical field.
BLOOD BANKING PHLEBOTOMIST
- University Degree in a health related discipline/diploma or Certification in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- At least three (3) years post graduate training/ Phlebotomy Certification.
- Suggested Secondary school subjects; Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics.
- Patient and gentle with patients.
- Accurate with attention to details.
- Able to follow procedures and instructions accurately.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Good hygiene.
- Organizational skills.